Eurosurf – the European Surfing Championships takes place in Bundoran from Friday 23rd September until Sunday October 2nd.
Both the Rock Hostel and the Donegal Adventure Centre will be providing accommodation for teams and fans that week. For the best rates email us here at email@example.com or call Collie on 07198 29357.
Here is some information about the event.
* The Opening Ceremony will take place on Saturday 24th September at 5pm, with the competition will begin on Sunday 25th September at 8am and will run daily until 6pm.
* 16 european countries are expected to take part – Ireland, England, Wales, Channel Islands, Belgium, Germany, France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Morocco, Norway, Sweden, Malta, Switzerland and Israel MAY submit a team. Teams should be confirmed by August 15th.
* The Irish team is made up of Shane Meehan, 29, from Strandhill, Stephen Kilfeather, 23 and Ashleigh Smith, 24 from Sligo, Cain Kilcullen, 24 from Enniscrone, Ronan Oertzen, 20, Shauna
Ward, 24, Darragh McCarter, 25 & Richie Fitzgerald, 36 from Bundoran, Easkey Britton, 25, and John Britton, 32, from Rossnowlagh, John McCurry, 26 from Portrush & Oliver O’Flaherty, 24 and Stephen Kelleher, 24 from Lahinch, County Clare
* Eurosurf 2011 is supported by Fáilte Ireland
* This will be the fourth time the European Surfing Championships have been held in Ireland and the third time they’ve been held in Bundoran – the previous times were 1985 and 1997. They were first held in Ireland in 1972 in Lahinch.
* The competition will be run mainly at the Peak and at Tullan – depending on conditions – podiums will be built at both of these locations with temporary podiums being built at Tullan and at The Peak.
The Opening Ceremony.
The official opening ceremony and parade of nations will take place on Saturday September 24th at 5pm. Each national team will gather at the bottom of the town around KFC/Marlboro House (in similar fashion to the St Patrick’s Day parade). Carrying their national flag, the parade route will take each group (one group to include the judges that each team will also bring with them), up Main Street, they will take a right onto the Promenade with the parade itself finishing at the “Carraige na Nean” monument – the site of one of the main podiums for the competition.
The traditional “sands of the world” ceremony will also take place at this time. All teams will bring sand from their own corner of Europe and, in Olympic spirit, all sands will be joined, signifying Europe’s surfers coming together regardless of international, political or religious boundaries.
Following the opening ceremony there will be the gala screening of the movie “Soul Surfer” at the Bundoran Cineplex. This movie has already been released in the US, however the opening of the movie in the UK and Ireland has been specifically delayed to coincide with the opening weekend of Eurosurf!
A Film Festival of classic surfing movies will happen across the week at Bundoran Cineplex with a movie being shown each
Week of September 19th Teams Arrive
Thursday 22nd September
All day Teams Registration
Friday 23rd September
All day Teams Registration
Saturday 24th September
5pm Parade of nations followed by Opening Ceremony
7.30pm Gala Irish Screening of “Soul Surfer”
10pm Entertainment at Eurosurf Venue
Sunday 25th September
8am – 6pm Day One of competition
7.30pm Film Festival movie #1
10pm + Entertainment at Eurosurf Venue #1
Monday 26th September
8am – 6pm Day Two of competition
7.30pm Film Festival movie #2
10pm + Entertainment at Eurosurf Venue #2
Eurosurf Bundoran Briefing Document
Tuesday 27th September
8am – 6pm Day Three of competition
7.30pm Film Festival movie #3
10pm + Entertainment at Eurosurf Venue #3
Wednesday 28th September
8am – 6pm Day Four of competition
7.30pm Film Festival movie #4
10pm + Entertainment at Eurosurf Venue #4
Thursday 29th September
8am – 6pm Day Five of competition
7.30pm Film Festival movie #5
10pm + Entertainment at Eurosurf Venue #5
Friday 30th September
8am – 6pm Day Six of competition
7.30pm Film Festival movie #6
10pm + Entertainment at Eurosurf Venue #6
Saturday 1st October
As most of the competitors will be knocked out at this stage, it is expected there will be a fairly substantial party taking place tonight!
8am – 6pm Day Seven of competition – Semi Finals (the comp may be down to a single podium at this stage depending on conditions
7.30pm Film Festival movie #7
10pm + Entertainment at Eurosurf Venue #7
Sunday 2nd October
8am – 6pm Final Day of competition
Medals presented on beach/The Peak
7.30pm + Closing Ceremony
Closing party for competitors and Eurosurf staff – trophies awarded.